Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story
GENRE: Dramatic theatre, musical theatre
Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story is a humourously dark folktale woven together with a high-energy concert.
Playwright: Hannah Moscovitch
Director: Christian Barry
Songs by: Ben Caplan & Christian Barry
This Klezmer music-theatre hybrid starring genre-bending sensation Ben Caplan is inspired by the true stories of two Jewish Romanian refugees coming to Canada in 1908.
It’s about how to love after being broken by the horrors of war. It’s about refugees who get out before it’s too late, and those who get out after it’s too late. And it’s about looking into the eyes of God.
- Playwright Hannah Moscovitch
- Director Christian Barry
- Songs by Ben Caplan & Christian Barry (Except for Traveler’s Curse by Geoff Berner & The Happy People by Danny Rubenstein). Additional music by Graham Scott.
- Ben Caplan The Wanderer
- Eric Da Costa Chaim, woodwinds
- Shaina Silver-Baird Chaya, violin
- Graham Scott keyboard and accordion
- Jeff Kingsbury drumset
- Stage and Production Manager Louisa Adamson
- Sound Operator and Tech Manager Rory Howson
- Tour Producer Rebecca Desmarais
- Music Director Graham Scott
- Rehearsal Stage Manager Christine Oakey
- Assistant Director Laura Vingoe-Cram
- Costume Design Carly Beamish
- Set Design Louisa Adamson & Christian Barry
- Lighting Design Louisa Adamson & Christian Barry